Thursday, January 28, 2010




I had vowed to do yoga starting yesterday. So, I got off the computer after feeling quite blue with the job search and laid my mat out and started with surya namaskar and did some asanas I remembered from Sivananada. I remembered it had been exactly a year since I went to India to immerse myself in yoga at the ashram. What an experience that was! Doing yoga yesterday was the best medicine for the winter blues and job search blues. Also, this was a lovely compliment to my yoga session. I baked these sesame cookies that turned out to be better than when I had baked them before in SF. I had a craving for these and scowered the internet for the recipe remembering that it was from the Tassajara Recipe book. Give them a try!
Here is the recipe:
Ingredients:
2/3 cup oil
1 cup sesame seeds (toasted)
1 egg
3/4 cup sugar-I used dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
rind of half a lemon
1/2 cup coconut (optional)
2 cups (whole wheat pasty flour) I really like Whole Wheat pastry flour because some of the husk is left unlike All purpose flour
1/4 tsp bakind soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
Directions:
Heat oven to 350
Toast the sesame seeds
In a large mixing bowl, Mix the oil, sugar and beat the egg and mix well.
Add the toasted sesame seeds
Add the vanilla and lemon rind and coconut
* You can get rid of the coconut fat by soaking the coconut in water and squeezing it out and then adding the coconut
In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking soda and baking powder and salt.
Pour the dry ingridents into the wet. Mix until all the ingredients are incorporated. Do not mix too much as the dough will get dry and the cookies will come out hard.
Make 1/2 inch dough balls and place on a baking sheet. Use you fingers to pat the balls down, so it spreads out a little.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen
Eat and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment